Aussie Rules Melbourne Tour
We all know that Aussies are a pretty passionate breed, but when it comes to AFL, they make Justin Beiber’s ‘Beliebers’ look indifferent. Join this Melbourne tour to get the scoop on the most beloved sport in Australia, from its indigenous roots, to the biggest moments in AFL history, and the stadiums they were played in. You might even get to have a bit of a kick around, so don’t forget to bring your game face.
- Learn why AFL (or ‘footy’ to the locals!) is so important in Melbourne
- Get the low down on the history of the game, some gossip, and a personal perspective
- Watch an AFL game with a local, and learn the rules from them
- Chow down on some classic Melbourne footy food
- Get so close to the game that you hear the coach pep up the players
Tour style:Cultural Tour, Sport Tour
Inclusions:Local English-speaking guide, footy food, a beer or soft drink, transport (please note you need to have a Myki, a Melbourne transit card, to participate on this tour), game of football.
Exclusions:Myki transport card, items of a personal nature, tips / gratuities for your guide.
Group size:Maximum 12
- Duration:4 – 5 Hours
- Meeting point:Out the front of AFL Headquarters:140 Harbour Esplanade, Docklands VIC 3008 (Docklands side of Etihad Stadium)
- Start time: 10.00 AM
- Finish point:Victoria Park, Abbotsford VIC 3067
Additional information :
- Voucher exchange details:Please bring your voucher with you. Showing it on a Smartphone is fine, no need to print!
- Confirmation of booking: If you have your voucher, your booking is confirmed. We’ll see you at the start point. Get in touch if you have any concerns or require more information via the email address or phone number (business hours only) on your voucher.
- Dress standard: Trip runs rain, hail, or shine. In Melbourne you normally get all 3 most days so please come prepared.
- Child policy: This is a child-friendly tour, but note that there is a fair bit of walking involved in this tour. Children between the ages of 6 and 11 inclusively are permitted on this tour at the rate listed above. Please select ‘child’ above when booking. Children under the age of 6 are permitted to join this tour free of charge, and strollers are permitted on this tour. Please inform us at the time of booking if you’ll be bringing a child under the age of 6. You can do so in the special request box on the checkout page.
- Language: English
AFL is like a religion unto itself in Australia, and going to a match is one of that religion’s most important rituals. On this Aussie Rules tour you’ll get a glimpse inside the world of your everyday AFL fan, and visit their most sacred spots. If you’re going to have any conversations with locals during your time in Melbourne, you’ll need to know a little bit about AFL, even if it’s just the difference between a speccy and a back pocket. If those terms mean nothing to you, this tour will definitely help you out.
We start our Melbourne tour down at the Head Quarters of the official body of the Australian Football League. Here you’ll meet your local guide and see one of the main stadiums where the big games are played.
Next, we head by tram into the city to find a hidden gem that marks one of the most famous moments in football history, some would even say a moment changed all Australians forever (don’t pretend like that didn’t just pique your interest!). We then grab a coffee and some typical footy food before heading by train to the ‘Home of Football’.
At this site, we’ll pass by ‘Tigerland’ and get the low down on the origins of AFL, see where it was first played, and learn a bit about a man credited with creating the original version of the game. We’ll also look at how the indigenous population of Australia have embraced and influenced the game, giving you a little bit of AFL history that you might not find on many other Melbourne tours or in the guidebooks. Soak in the grandness and sheer magnitude of the stadium where the ultimate prize is won each year in front of 100,000 fans – whoa!
Next, we’ll head out Fitzroy, a vibrant Melbourne neighbourhood, to visit a shrine to a club that is now extinct. Here you can grab a pre-game beer like a true local, or maybe just a soft drink, and relax a little bit and chat to your local guide. We’ll have a taste of the most iconic of football foods before heading off to see a real live game at a ground soaked in history.
Once at the game, we’ll take you through the basics of the rules to help you understand what you are seeing, and we’ll even head out onto the ground itself to listen to what the coach has to say to the players. If you are up for it, we might even have a kick of the football ourselves!
For the duration of this Melbourne AFL tour, your passionate guide will give you insights as to what makes this game so special, how it binds Australia together as a nation, and how the obsession grows for many a Melbournian.
If you are happy with the services provided by your local guides a tip – though not compulsory – is appropriate. While it may not be customary to you, it is of great significance to the people who will take care of you during your travels, inspires excellent service, and is an entrenched feature of the tourism industry across many Intrepid Urban Adventures destinations. Please consider this when budgeting for your extra expenses on this trip.
Note: This tour is managed by Melbourne Urban Adventures