Beautiful Cairns: Hiking, Nature & Epic Views
Who would have thought Cairns is more than a launching point for the Great Barrier Reef? There’re mountains and gardens, wildlife, and indigenous culture, and some of the best fish and chips you’ll ever taste. Join this Cairns tour to see the parts that many tourists miss.
- Hike to the top of magnificent Mt Whitfield and enjoy its spectacular views
- Explore the Botanical Gardens and learn about Aboriginal medicinal plants
- Devour a local favourite lunch – a fish and chips picnic
- Encounter wonderful wildlife and towering native trees and plants
- Enjoy another elevated view of Cairns from the top of the Wildlife Dome
Tour style:Local culture Food and drink Beer Nature Hiking Walking History Local neighbourhood Activity
Inclusions:Local English speaking guide, transportation on a local bus, fish and chips lunch, Dome climb and admission, bug repellent, one bottle of water.
Exclusions:Optional Dome activities, an individual photo with a koala, items of a personal nature, tips / gratuities for your guide.
Group size:Maximum 12
- Duration:6 hours
- Meeting point:Outside of the Bellview Hotel, 85/87 The Esplanade, Cairns, QLD 4870
- Start time: 10.30 AM
- Finish point:Wildlife Dome at Casino, Wharf Street, Cairns, QLD 4870
Additional information :
- Voucher exchange details:Please present your voucher to the local guide at the beginning of the tour.
- Confirmation of booking: If you have your voucher, your booking is confirmed. We’ll see you at the start point. Get in touch if you have any concerns or require more information via the email address or phone number (business hours only) on your voucher.
- Additional information: If it is a scorcher of a day, we will take our guests for a walk around the Botanic Gardens instead of taking them up Mt Whitfield as the heat will be too overbearing. Don’t worry, the Botanical Gardens are still well worth it!
- Dress standard: Please wear comfortable footwear such as sneakers or runners (you’ll be hiking…please don’t wear flip flops!). Bring a hat and water in case it’s a very hot day.
- Child policy: This is a child-friendly tour. Children between the ages of 6 and 11 inclusively are permitted on this tour at the rate listed above. Please select ‘child’ above when booking. Children under the age of 6 are permitted to join this tour free of charge. Please inform us at the time of booking if you’ll be bringing a child under the age of 6. You can do so in the special request box on the checkout page. *Note that children under the age of 6 cannot do the Dome Climb and will need to be watched while the adult completes the climb. The Urban Adventures guide cannot be responsible for watching the child at this time.*
- Language: English
Get out and stay out! In Cairns, we love the outdoors, and this tour will get you up close and personal with some of our favourite things – hiking, gardens, nature, wildlife, and fish and chips!
This nature tour in Cairns kicks off with a ride on the local bus, as we head for the wondrous Botanical Gardens. We’ll take the Red Arrow Track and follow it for a 40-minute hike to the top of Mount Whitfield where, no surprise here, you’ll be treated to an amazing Cairns view or two! Drink in the fantastic vistas of Trinity Inlet, the city of Cairns, and its beautiful surrounding natural environment and marina. It’s a pretty breathtaking sight, so don’t forget to take photos!
From here on this Cairns tour, we’ll head towards the Aboriginal Plants and Gardens area along the Gondwanan Heritage Walk, where you’ll gain knowledge of the variety of medicinal plants used throughout history (and even today) all over Australia.
By this point, we bet you’ll be pretty hungry, so after a good stretch, it’ll be time for some lunch! We’ve got a picnic lunch planned, with locally caught fish and chips to indulge in. Tuck in and enjoy – you’ve earned it!
Full and happy, we jump back on the bus to go back downtown, where we’ll visit the iconic Dome for another elevated view of the city. While at the Dome, you’ll have the chance to try some of the optional ZOOm activities and get a photo with a koala, if you fancy.
By this point, you’ll have seen Cairns from several different vantage points, and tried a couple of Cairns outdoor activities, giving you a great understanding of just why we love living here.
For your Urban Adventure, you will be in a small group of a maximum of 12 people.
If you are happy with the services provided by your local guides a tip – though not compulsory – is appropriate. While it may not be customary to you, it is of great significance to the people who will take care of you during your travels, inspires excellent service, and is an entrenched feature of the tourism industry across many Intrepid Urban Adventures destinations. Please consider this when budgeting for your extra expenses on this tour.
Note: This tour is managed by Cairns Urban Adventures