Convict Trails & Adventures, Sydney Walking Tour (Sydney Colony-History Walking Tour)
Covering a total area of 7.69 million square kilometres, mainland Australia is the world’s largest island – but smallest continent.
Australia is also the only continent that is governed as a single country. It is sometimes informally referred to as an ‘island’ continent, surrounded by oceans.
New South Wales is Australia’s oldest and most populated state. It was originally settled as a penal colony on the shores of Port Jackson where the bustling capital city of Sydney now stands. More than a third of Australians live in New South Wales, and Sydney is the nation’s largest city.
Britain arrives and brings its convicts
A number of European explorers sailed the coast of Australia, then known as New Holland, in the 17th century. However, it wasn’t until 1770 that Captain James Cook chartered the east coast and claimed it for Britain. The new outpost was put to use as a penal colony and on 26 January 1788, the First Fleet of 11 ships carrying 1,500 people – half of them convicts – arrived in Sydney Harbour. Until penal transportation ended in 1868, 160,000 men and women came to Australia as convicts.
Today Australia is home to people from more than 200 countries. On our interesting “Convicts, Colony & History” tour you will learn the facts and tales behind Sydney’s stormed past.
Discover “Sydney as a local” and experience it as the locals do by enjoying a beautiful day out exploring Sydney’s main iconic sites as well as the extensive harbour foreshore.
- Get an insider’s perspective on Australia’s Colonial History by your local Ringer*
- Run by a “Fair Dinkum” Australian tour guide
- Learn about Convicts, Gangs and Pubs
- “Ringer*” the best available
- Australia’s Colony History
- The Rocks – How it all started
- Convicts, Gangs and Pubs
- Cadman’s Cottage
- The Colony – story of survival
- The “Rum” Rebellion
- Sydney Harbour Bridge
- ‘Rum’ Hospital
- Aboriginal History
- Suez Canal and Nurses Walk
- Museums and Galleries
- What to do in Sydney and many more, plus get useful tips on where to go and what to do from our local guide.
Price: $46 for adults
- Local licensed guide
- 2 to 2.5 hour Sydney walking tour
- Learn about Convicts, Gangs and Pubs
- Enjoy the Informative commentary of your Ringer* tour guide
- You’ll get a vocabulary lesson on Aussie slang throughout the tour
- Appreciate the coffee/tea stop at the conclusion of the tour
- Get all the inside gossip of the early history of what was once a Penal Colony and is now a thriving international city.
- Discover the importance of Customs House in moulding the City of Sydney
- Find out why the eastern suburbs is still the wealthiest part of Sydney city
- *A Ringer is the best of the best. #1 tour guide in Sydney
What isn’t included
- Entrance fees
- Hotel pick-up and drop-off
- Food and beverages (not mentioned)
- Gratuities/Tips (optional)
- Coffee/tea purchases
- Food purchases
- Drink purchases
- hotel pick-up & drop-off:
- Group bookings only by request
Please check our Disclosures for Private & Group tours for explanations on shared or private city tours.
- Location : Meet at Customs House,31 Alfred Street, Circular Quay, Sydney NSW 2000
- Departure time : 10:00 a.m
- Walking pace: Easy
Notes & Clarifications
Keep in mind that if you select a private tour , it is possible to customise it to meet your desires.
Should you want to change the itinerary please do not hesitate to contact us by sending us a request through the inquiry form.
Weather : In the event of potential inclement weather, the threat of weather or natural disasters, on the day of a scheduled tour, the tour will be cancelled or postponed . For more info : Booking Terms and Conditions
Dress Code :Please wear comfortable walking shoes and bring your camera! And an umbrella just in case!
If you are happy with the services provided by your local guides a tip – though not compulsory – is appropriate. While it may not be customary to you, it is of great significance to the people who will take care of you during your travels, inspires excellent service, and is an entrenched feature of the tourism industry across many world destinations. Please consider this when budgeting for your extra expenses on this tour.