Fremantle: Convicts and Colonials
Freo was once a bit like an unpolished diamond: a little rough around the edges but incredibly valuable and now, a highly sought after location. Hear classic Aussie tales of jailbreakers, bushrangers, convicts, and rogues on this Fremantle tour hot with history, heroes, and high drama.
- Learn about the fascinating people that shaped Fremantle – or ‘Freo’ for short!
- Uncover the stories of Fremantle’s maritime past, pioneering heroes, shady criminals, and famous jail breaks.
- See landmarks like the Roundhouse and Fremantle Prison
- Discover the local stories that make Freo what it is today – an awesome city to explore!
Tour style:History & Heritage, Local Life & Culture, Walking & Orientation
Inclusions:Local English-speaking guide, entry to Roundhouse, and a souvenir.
Exclusions:Items of a personal nature, tips or gratuities for guides, meals, bottled water.
Group size:Maximum 12
- Duration:2 hours
- Meeting point:Fremantle Visitor Information Centre – Kings Square Fremantle WA 6160
- Start time: 10.00 AM
- Finish point:Fremantle Roundhouse – Western End of High Street at Arthur Head Fremantle 6160
Additional information :
- Voucher exchange details:Please present your voucher to the local guide at the beginning of the trip.
- Confirmation of booking: If you have your voucher, your booking is confirmed. We’ll see you at the start point. Get in touch if you have any concerns or require more information via the email address or phone number (business hours only) on your voucher.
- Dress standard: Please wear comfortable shoes and dress as you see appropriate to the weather. April – Aug may expect cold/rain so be prepared. Check out the weather report the day before.
- Child policy: This is a child-friendly tour. Children between the ages of 6 and 11 inclusively are permitted on this tour at the rate listed above. Please select ‘child’ above when booking. Children under the age of 6 are permitted to join this tour free of charge. Please inform us at the time of booking if you’ll be bringing a child under the age of 6. You can do so in the special request box on the checkout page.
- Language: English
And you thought Western Australia was nowhere near as appealing as the east coast! Well, this Fremantle tour in Perth might make you think again…
Starting at the Fremantle Town Hall, this Fremantle walking tour is no boring history lesson, but rather takes a non-traditional route through Freo, discovering the factual, anecdotal, and downright fascinating, all as you wander Freo’s vibrant cappuccino strip.
This Perth tour winds its way through Fremantle, which is renowned for its well-preserved architectural heritage, including colonial buildings and one of the most notorious prisons in the British Empire, Fremantle Prison. The locals here were as hard as nails; salty sea dogs rubbed shoulders with newly-arrived immigrants to create a city full of characters – some of whose stories you’ll be amazed to hear from your local guide!
Once home to whaling stations and mass immigration, Freo is now a charming little city which is celebrated for its variety of restaurants and multicultural history. On this Fremantle tour in Perth, you’ll hear of so many local stories, such as Irish prisoners escaping, comical British bushrangers, Freo’s impact as a port during World War II, and the shameful expulsion of aboriginals to Rottnest Island. There is no better way to explore Freo than with a local guide to tell you all its fascinating stories, of which there are many if you hadn’t guessed!
This trip is offered on a “join-in” basis. Maximum group size is 12
If you are happy with the services provided by your local guides a tip – though not compulsory – is appropriate. While it may not be customary to you, it is of great significance to the people who will take care of you during your travels, inspires excellent service, and is an entrenched feature of the tourism industry across many Intrepid Urban Adventures destinations. Please consider this when budgeting for your extra expenses on this tour
Note: This tour is managed by Perth Urban Adventures